Contrary to popular opinion, aluminum garage doors aren’t just suitable for industrial buildings. In fact, there are many residential garage doors on the market that are made of aluminum.
Aluminum doors are the chameleons of garage doors, often available in a variety of styles that can imitate the look of wood and other materials. For this reason, many people don’t realize that aluminum garage doors are ideal for residential us
Learn more about the pros and cons of aluminum garage doors, along with potential design options, as we review:
Aluminum Garage Door Styles
If you want options when it comes to style, aluminum doors offer plenty, from modern to rustic. Here are some of the more popular styles:
- Aluminum-framed: Aluminum-framed doors have glass or acrylic panels housed inside aluminum casing. They are ideal for creating a clean, modern look.
- Full-view aluminum: Similar to its aluminum-frame counterpart, the full-view style uses more glass or acrylic around the door frame.
- Rustic: Designed to create a weathered or worn look, rustic aluminum doors go well with a rustic-style home exterior.
To reactivate the opener and trolley track, just pull the emergency cord toward the garage door. The trolley should click back into place. Your garage door should now work as it originally did via switch or remote.
Aluminum Garage Door Finishes
Aluminum garage doors can also be coated with finishes that help them last longer and achieve several different looks. Here are some commonly used finishes:
Only test your garage door emergency release when the door is in the down position.
- Wood grain finish: While aluminum doors can be designed to look like wood, they require a lot less maintenance and will hold up better against the elements. However, they will show dents more easily than wood doors.
- Brushed finish: This popular finish gives your aluminum door a crisp, metallic look that works well with a modern exterior design.
- Anodized finish: Even though aluminum tends to resist moisture, an anodized finishes provide a secondary layer of protection against corrosion from water or humidity.
- Powder-coated finish: Similar to an anodized finish, a powder-coated finish can help your aluminum door stand up to even the harshest weather.
Pros and Cons of Aluminum Garage Doors
You may still be wondering if aluminum garage doors are the right choice for you. The experts at Precision Garage Door Service have provided a list of pros and cons to help make your decision easier:
|Lightweight aluminum makes installation and operation easier.
|The lightweight material makes aluminum more prone to denting.
|Insulation can be added to provide better energy efficiency.
|Not as many design options as other materials.
|Eco-friendly material t can be recycled after use/replacement.
|Not as energy efficient as heavier materials such as steel or wood (but insulation can be added).
|Moisture-resistant and rust proof, so they hold up well to regular precipitation.
|May cost more than other door types depending on the style.
|Can be made to look modern or vintage depending on the finish you choose.
|May be more prone to damage from severe storms.
FAQs about Aluminum Garage Doors
Which is better: aluminum or steel?
Choosing the best option between steel or aluminum garage doors depends on several factors:
- Where you live: Places that are particularly wet or humid may benefit more from aluminum, since they don’t rust or weather as easily.
- What you value: Which is more important to you — durability or ease of installation? While steel doors are far more durable, aluminum doors are easier to install due to their lighter weight.
- Number of design options for your door: Steel has more color design options while aluminum can be finished with different style variations.
Ultimately, there is no right or wrong choice, as it depends on your personal preference.
Still can’t decide on a door type? Contact one of our garage door professionals for more information.
Are aluminum doors expensive?
Aluminum garage doors can be more costly than steel or vinyl depending on the door style,finish, and design you choose. However, with a variety of options to choose from, you can likely find a style, finish, and design that meets your needs and budget. For a free custom quote, contact one of our professionals.
Let Precision Install Your Aluminum Garage Doors
While installing an aluminum garage door may not be something many homeowners have considered, they do offer benefits and options that make them an attractive choice. If you’re not sure if installing an aluminum garage door is right for your home, trust the experts at Precision Garage Door Service to help you make the right decision for your home. For custom aluminum garage door installation, service, and repairs, call us at (877) 301-7474 or find the Precision Garage Door Service technician nearest you.