Our busy schedules and busy lives encourage us to seek out easier and more convenient ways to get things done. And while switching your garage door opener may not seem like that big a deal, it can actually save you time and make your life easier.
Regular garage door openers require a remote to control your garage door. A smart garage door opener, on the other hand, allows you to use your smartphone to operate your garage door, which provides several benefits.
If this sounds like the type of convenience you’re looking for, read on! In this guide, you’ll learn the benefits and how-tos of using a smart garage door opener as we cover the following:
Features of Smart Garage Door Openers
Choosing a smart garage door opener means enhanced convenience and flexibility. Take a look at some of the benefits of using one:
- No more worrying about a lost or misplaced remote — instead, control everything from your smartphone.
- Allow friends and family to securely enter your garage in case of emergencies, whether you are home or not.
- Receive and secure packages safely in your garage — open and close your garage door for each delivery.
- Enjoy added security when integrated with a home security system.
- Stop worrying about whether you closed your garage door — check it right from your smartphone.
- Monitor your door’s activity to see when it was last opened and closed.
How Smart Garage Door Openers Work
Operating a smart garage door opener is easy. Here are a few things to keep in mind before, during, and after the installation.
Before Installing Your Smart Garage Door Opener
Before installation, consider the following:
- Choose the right smart opener for your lifestyle: While most smart openers have similar functions, they aren’t all designed with the same features. Don’t forget to check the manufacturer’s website along with the app description to get a good idea of each product’s capabilities before purchasing.
- Be prepared to install the physical component of your opener: Your smart garage door opener is a physical device that must be installed on your garage door in order for it to connect wirelessly to the app stored on your phone. You can try to install it yourself or have it professionally installed.
- Turn the power off: To help keep you and those around you safe, disconnect power by unplugging the unit during the installation process.
- Ensure that your Wi-Fi is working properly: Unless you are buying an opener that operates via Bluetooth, your opener and app will both connect to your home’s Wi-Fi. It’s essential that you have a solid wireless connection prior to installation. If the Wi-Fi signal throughout your home is weak, you can purchase an extender or booster to strengthen the signal.
During the Installation of Your Smart Garage Door Opener
Once you’ve chosen a smart garage door opener that suits your needs, it’s time to install it. Before you begin installation, we recommend taking these steps:
- Don’t skimp on installing the safety features: Smart garage door openers have features that are designed to keep you and your family safe. If there is a separate installation process for installing these features, we recommend that you are careful and intentional about executing it correctly.
- If you’re unsure, stop and call a professional: Your garage door opener is an integral part of your garage door system. If not installed correctly, it could result in a myriad of problems — including property damage or bodily harm. If you’re not sure about an important step during the installation of your smart garage door opener, call in a professional to complete the job.
After the Installation of Your Smart Garage Door Opener
After you’ve installed your smart garage door opener, you’ll need to do the following:
- Install the app that is associated with your smart garage door opener: Be sure to install the appropriate app so you can start operating your opener with your smartphone.
- Test your door: Make sure the app and opener are communicating with each other properly. The last thing you need is to discover that your opener isn’t working at a time when you need it the most.
Smart Garage Door Opener Types
There are three primary types of garage door openers: chain drive, belt drive, and screw drive. Below is a brief explanation about the differences of each:
- Belt drive: Belt-drive openers operate using a rubber belt attached to a trolley that helps lift and lower your garage door. This opener type is usually the quietest since the belt itself absorbs the sounds coming from the opener’s motor. The smoother operation of the belt-drive opener makes it more of an ideal choice for those who want to avoid having a noisy door. It should be noted; however, that belt drives may not be the best choice for homeowners who have doors made from a heavier material such as wood. Those with lighter door types, such as steel, will likely benefit more from the belt drive’s sleek operation.
- Chain drive: A common and noisier option to the belt-drive design is the chain-drive opener. This opener uses a metal chain to move your door. Although they do make more noise, chain-drive openers are a durable and cheaper option. If you have a heavier door, you may want to consider this type of opener.
- Screw drive: The most expensive option of the three is a screw-drive opener that uses a spiral-shaped rod to operate your garage door. If you happen to have a weighty door and don’t care for the noisiness of the chain-drive, the screw-drive is a quieter option.
How to Install a Smart Garage Door Opener
The process for installing your smart garage door opener depends on the manufacturer. Chamberlain makes a majority of the garage door openers in the United States and is a popular, convenient option.
Whether you choose the noisy yet sturdy chain-drive opener or the smooth belt-drive opener, Chamberlain has an instruction video to help make your installation process easier.
How to Make an Older Garage Door Opener Smart
If you have an older garage door system but want the perks of a smart garage door opener, you have two options:
- Buy a smart garage door opener to replace or complement the one you currently have.
- Purchase a smart garage door controller. In this case, you would not need a new opener, as the smart garage door controller connects to your current opener’s wall switch.
Still not sure which option would work best for you? Check out Chamberlain’s step-by-step guide to discover how you can best connect to their popular smart garage door opener app, myQ, regardless of whether your current opener is smart.
Trust the Pros to Install Your Smart Garage Door Opener
Adding a smart garage door opener not only makes it easy and more convenient to access your garage door, it also enhances security and makes it easy to check your door from anywhere. If you need help deciding which smart garage door opener is right for you, call the professionals at your local Precision Garage Door Service or find the Precision Garage Door Service location nearest you. We can help you choose the smart option that works best for your needs and install it for you too.