Faux wood garage doors are made to mimic the look of wood. Although they are not actually made of wood, they still come with many of the benefits that real wood has to offer, including:
- An elegant appearance.
- Increased home value and curb appeal.
- Availability in various styles and finishes.
If you’re looking to achieve the natural look of wood doors, but can do without the extensive maintenance, consider giving faux wood garage doors a try.
Faux Wood Garage Door Materials
One of the biggest advantages of faux wood doors is the minimal upkeep required. Natural wood doors require a great deal of care to prevent them from rotting and warping. Faux wood, on the other hand, can be made using a variety of materials that don’t rot and that are not susceptible to termite damage.
Here are some garage door materials that are commonly used:
- Steel: A popular option for many modern faux wood garage doors, steel is a durable material that is difficult to dent or crack. To give the appearance of a wood garage door design, a wood grain texture, and finish are applied to steel panels. Unlike wood, this is one material that termites won’t come after.
- Vinyl: Although it’s not as strong as steel, vinyl is another durable option. If you live in an area with a lot of moisture (humidity, rain, snow, etc.), vinyl doors may be your best option because they do not rust.
- Aluminum: Aluminum has similar advantages to vinyl in that it’s a low-maintenance, rust-resistant option. This material also takes texture well. The wood grain pattern can sometimes appear to be deeply embedded, giving it a more realistic wood-like appearance.
- Wood composite: Many people mistake wood composite and faux wood for the same thing. Wood composite is a type of faux wood. Whereas faux wood is a design that can be made from a number of materials, wood composite doors are made specifically from wood fibers and synthetic materials. In order to enhance its appearance, a wood-like finish is applied to the door. The result is a sturdy garage door that closely resembles its original wood counterpart.
Faux Wood Garage Door Finishes
Finish types for faux wood garage doors vary depending on your design preference and your home’s exterior appearance. Keep in mind that some wood finishes may look better on your home than others.
Check out some popular faux wood finish types below:
- Walnut: A walnut wood finish can give your garage door a more elegant look and feel.
- Golden Oak: Traditional and steadfast in popularity, golden oak wood is a timeless design choice.
- Mahogany: The rich, reddish-brown tint of mahogany exudes luxury.
Faux Wood vs. Real Wood
So, which is better: real wood or faux wood garage doors? The answer depends on where you live and what you value in a garage door. To help narrow down your choice, take a look at the list below to see characteristics specific to each type of material.
|Lighter, durable material(s) that can withstand years of use.
|Heavy, durable material that can withstand years of use.
|Can be moisture and weather resistant depending on the material used.
|Various types of wood finishes to choose from — all with unique grain patterns.
|Excellent insulator with opportunities to add insulation.
|Thicker material cuts down tremendously on sound.
|Can add to the value of a home by increasing its curb appeal.
|Can add to the value of a home due to the cost and prestige of having a wood garage door.
FAQs about Faux Wood Garage Doors
Do faux wood garage doors feel like real wood?
The feel of faux wood garage doors depends on the type of material used. Materials like steel and vinyl do not have the same feel of real wood, while some wood composite doors do have a texture that feels similar to wood.
Do modern faux wood garage doors cost more than traditional ones?
Modern faux wood garage doors often have decorative touches that contribute to their innovative look. Depending on the material and decorations used, they can cost more than traditional styles.
Trust Precision Garage Door Service with Your Garage Door Installation
While choosing the right style and material for your garage door is important, so is choosing the right company to install it. The garage door experts at Precision Garage Door Service have the tools, training, and expertise to get the job done right! Give our garage door professionals a call or find the Precision Garage Door Service technician nearest you for more information on our faux wood garage door installation service.