Glass garage doors offer a unique mix of functionality, versatility, and style — not to mention natural light. Their transparent glass panels do wonders for merging the outside world with your indoor garage space.
In this article, the experts at Precision Garage Door Service® discuss the benefits of glass doors, how to design glass doors to your preferences, and how to maintain them once installed.
The Benefits of Glass Garage Doors
Glass garage doors offer a myriad of benefits including:
- Improved aesthetics: Garage doors made of glass offer a sleek, unique take on traditional opaque doors.
- Design versatility: Various options for framing exist along with many glass design options.
- Natural light: Sunlight easily penetrates your clear garage door panels, brightening your space.
- Increased curb appeal and home value: Glass garage doors are a luxury purchase that will boost your home’s curb appeal and resale value.
- Resistant to rust or rot: Aluminum framing and the glass on these garage doors are highly resistant to developing rust or rot.
Design Options for Glass Garage Doors
The concept of transparency often comes to mind when the word “glass” is mentioned. But framed glass garage doors have so many other glass-oriented features to consider.
There are two types of glass that glass garage doors are typically made of: laminate or tempered. Each glass type has its own advantages.
- Laminate glass: Made of two or more glass layers with a layer of polyvinyl butyral sandwiched in between. The polyvinyl butyral layer holds the glass together in the event that it’s broken.
- Tempered glass: Made of a single layer of glass that has undergone a heating and cooling process to strengthen it.
The type of glass that you choose depends on your preference for sound insulation and appearance, as well as the amount of sunlight that your home receives.
You can choose from various glass styles or designs to help give your glass garage doors the aesthetic that you desire.
- Clear: These glass doors have the ultimate transparency.
- Frosted: Frosted glass is for those who want the elegance of glass garage doors but with a little added privacy.
- Tinted: Colored glass to complement your home’s exterior color.
- Decorative: Adds an out-of-the-box element to the popular glass panel option.
Privacy Considerations for Glass Garage Doors
While some prefer the openness that glass garage doors offer, others want a bit more privacy for their personal spaces.
- Glass opacity: Glass comes in all sorts of opacity levels to suit your situation.
- Window coverings: Many homeowners opt for transparent glass doors and then install custom indoor window coverings.
- Glass panel placement: Full-view garage doors usually have glass panels from top to bottom. However, with custom garage doors, you have the option to place glass panels wherever you please. For added privacy, consider placing your more transparent glass panels farther up on your garage door.
Glass Garage Door Maintenance
Glass garage doors require a reasonable amount of maintenance. Here are some tips to help keep your glass door working optimally.
- Clean regularly: The glass panels on your door need to be cleaned regularly to avoid dirt and debris buildup.
- Lubricate parts: Be sure to keep your door’s hinges and rollers lubricated. This service comes standard in our yearly garage door tuneup service.
- Inspect seals: Make sure that your garage door seals are intact to ensure proper insulation — and to lower energy bills.
- Be mindful of impact: Avoid any situations that may cause high impact to your garage door.
- Get damage repaired immediately: If you notice any chips, cracks, or any other damage to the glass on your garage door, have it repaired right away.
Trust Precision to Install Your Glass Garage Doors
Glass garage doors are a crystal-clear solution to those looking for more sunlight and style to add to their garage space.
Trust the professionals at Precision to install your new glass doors with care and expertise. For more information, call us or find the Precision pro nearest you.